Friday, December 26, 2008

Handprint Quilts

You want to make a Grandma happy....give her a piece of each grandchild. The story behind these quilts goes back in time to when Toby and his silbings traced their handprints for their grandma. Well last Christmas Missy brought up the idea it would be so cool to make one for Nancy. With 2 weeks before Christmas that was impossible for 2007 but it became the plan for 2008. Both grandmas would get quilts.

So I begin researching how to do it. I learned how simple the process was, use regular crayons and decorate your squares then heat set them into the fabric. I designed a pattern. I bought the fabric and lucky me...Everyone decided to visit this summer so I did not have to mail it out ((AT FIRST)). It is amazing how long it takes to coordinate so many people!! I finally did get all the squares back but it took months!

Well Quilt #1 for my mom was moving along well and by mid August the top was almost ready. Then enter a two year old with scissors. I really just went down to make lunch for kids and when I left the room Toby was still in it but he came down for lunch. But it does not take long for a little boy. It was a good thing Daddy discovered the disaster and not Mommy! After lots of tears and fustration , one more ironing helper set back, and 2 stores I was able to recreate what was damaged. The quilt got done and mom has a more secure sewing area. The quilt did get an additional square after the newest grandbaby was born in late Oct!


For quilt # 2 I waited a little longer for all the pieces. It was just before Thanksgiving when I got the final ones so I had to rush a little to get it done before all the gingerbread activity (see previous posts). We did have a quilt tying session the Sat after Thanksgiving so the local cousins could do some work on it and see it all together

I knew that grandmas would be happy for Christmas and they did not diappoint. There was smiles, a few teary eyes and great joy. I do not think I can top this gift!! What will I do for next year?

PS... I do have a no sound video of the grandmas opening the quilts but I cannot figure out how to get it posted here. It did not work on email either. It does not seem to be the right type or file. I will work on it. And because Toby was videoing it I do not have a still pic of Nancy with the quilt. I need to see if Missy or Tammy of someone else got one.

1 comment:

Dee said...

That WAS the greatest gift! Way to go!