Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dirt is Great

After all this crazy winter weather where it actually produced snow 3 times this season we are SOOO ready for spring. Hopefully that cold weather is behind us because this weekend we began our spring garden. Daddy decided to double the size this year so we can grow more items. Last year the squash kind of dominated the bed. We are planting tomatoes and jalepenos (for salsa), corn, green beans, strawberries, onions, cucumbers, zuchini and yellow squash.


So to get ready we had enough dirt delivered to our house to fill the new garden beds...plus extra. The kids thought the dirt pile was lots of fun. Work is always more enjoyable when it is fun. Daddy created the new boxes while I weeded the old. The kids enjoyed helping. The boys hammered some nails with daddy. I had helpers who liked to shovel dirt, hoe and rake the weeds out with me. We did leave the broccoli in because it should produce for 2-3 more weeks. We also have a few strawberry plants that have survived another year. Hopefully we can get some bigger berries off of them this year.





When it came time to move the dirt we had lots of helpers. Our kids and friends all got involved, even having bucket filling contests to see who could get the most dirt in the wheelbarrow. I think maybe we should have had a contest to see who was the dirtiest because I saw some very dirty kids. The hard work is done for now. We just get to water and weed for the next 2 months until we can harvest. When it is canning time, there will be more work to do but I love the fresh veggies we get to enjoy from our own garden.

1 comment:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

I may have to "pick your brain" when it comes time for doing a garden. We're still getting the garden boxes ready.