Saturday, November 14, 2009

Field Trips, Homework, and Scouts

Lets start with field trips. C went to the Natural Science museum downtown and I went as a chaperone. Leading 9 kids through the museum was a lot of fun. So much stuff to see, touch and do in a short amount of time. I had to get some dino pics to bring home to the twins who are dino fanatics right now.



We could have had more time if the school buses did not take the long way. Trip took 1 hour and 20 mins with no bad traffic. My tummy was pretty upset by the time we got there, with all the lovely bouncing and stop and go.

That was the first friday of Nov and the second Friday I went with the 3rd graders and T's class to the FACE field trip. It combined and opera, art museum and library experience. I am not a fan of opera, usually because I can't understand the words through the songs, but this one was well done. It was a good children's story with humor and animated singer/actors. I liked it alot and understood 90% of what was sung. They did ag reat job explaining the paintings to the kids and how they are preserved and cared for. But the library scavenger hunt was not great, maybe it is because I have been to that library since the first month it opened and know all I need to about it. It was kind of fast walking the kids through it. But overall it was still a fun trip. One added bonus. I drove myself. I had to get back home prior to Toby leaving for work...one twin had been sick and we could not easily do a sitter. I left just as they were preparing to load the buses so I really only missed the bus ride. Forgot my camera for this trip.

The sick tummy bug....A, S, R then I got it one week. Then only 1 week later S & R both got it again. I am sick of waking in the night and cleaning up(hate this part) and caring for little ones. Let's hope we are done with it now! On top of that, my washer broke cleaning one of those sick loads. I know it was struggling the last month or so. Toby's diagnosis seems hopeful. I bought the $20 part he told me to get and Monday he will hopefully get it all fixed. I am grateful for a handy man Husband!

Homework, a fun subject. Actually this was a fun story for us and definitely a learning experience. C had to make a model of the earth showing the layers and depicting landforms. She wanted to make it out of jello or pudding. I squashed those ideas because both of them would need refrigeration and not be stable. She then decided on the frosting I use on gingerbread otherwise known as Royal Icing. It dries rock hard. So we make a small batch and she colors some for the core, mantel and crust. She makes the core, we let it dry, repeat with mantel and crust. The plan was to make it on cardboard then remove the cardboard to revel the layers. We went about cutting between the cardboard and frosting. C did it at first and had some small cracking, then I gave it a try and it gave way..... Houston we have a problem!



What to do??? We tried piecing it back together but the crust did not look right. We ended up making a new batch of frosting to repair the crust. We were able to salvage the inner layers. We changed the plan to cutting away a portion and leaving the earth attached to the cardboard. I think it looked good in the end. We were even discussing that we learned alot about earthquakes and how the crust reacts. How landforms are made...such as earthquakes...were part of the explaination she had to give to the class when she presented it. So she took some of the broken crust peices in to demonstrate what happens. Her teacher told her she did a good job. I am just greatful this all happened at 6 pm and not at or after bedtime! We had time to make the needed repairs.




I took these pictures today and wanted to add them. We went to a Cuboree today and T and A both had a chance to shoot BB guns for the first time. They also enjoyed the compass course and pumpkin bowling among other things. T loves scouts and A can't wait to start.












No comments: