Friday, August 28, 2009

The first week of school

Things went well this week for the family as we started another school year. It will be a big one as I begin a new role.....I am the volunteer coordinator at the elementary school. I have been and will be learning lots of new things as I embark on this journey, but I like to be involved and in the know. I enjoy volunteering and helping at the school. I have seen some weaknesses in the program and hope I can improve the process. Now did I go looking for this job, NO. I was asked to consider doing it by the PFO Pres. She actually wanted me to join the board, be a Vice Pres or secretary, but after learning what they do. I did not think with the twins home it was the right time. But this volunteer coordinator thing is suppose to be a lot of computer and telephone work which I can do from home. So far, it has been some work, but it should taper off after I get all the new volunteers entered for the year.

Now for the kids
C is so happy to be seeing her friends everyday. She is a social girl and likes having friends around. She has been lucky to have a core group of 4-6 girls that are always in the same class together. She likes school and enjoys learning. But she is not too keen on her teacher this year. She had heard that this teacher was mean from a few sources and so she went in dreading the worst. From little things I have heard, this is not my favorite teacher so far, but I will give it more time before making firm decisions.

T is already in a better class than last year. The bully is not there! He has a few friends from previous years including a buddy that was moved when they created a new class last year. He is very happy to have this friend in the class. I have only heard good things about this teacher and I hear she likes and uses volunteers (which many teachers don't at this school). T does not enjoy getting UP for school, he would much rather sleep in, but other than that he is enjoying school.

A was really happy to tell me that 5 boys from his Kindergarten class are in his 1st grade class and no girls! I am glad he already has friends in there. I worry about him, probably always will with his speech being so hard to understand. I did talk to his teacher and she seems great. I have heard from 2 sources that she was the best teacher my child ever had at the school. I like that.

R & S are missing the older kids, but we are staying busy. I am arranging a little home preschool for them one day a week. We do story time and are happy Ms Jo moved up from toddler time to do preschool storytime. I think she does a great job and love taking the boys. They like the songs and crafts, but prefer me reading stories to sitting in a group to listen. We have done some crafts at home.....Cutting and glueing are new to these boys and they like it. (It is just messy, thus why I waited til now) I hope to spend some quality time with these guys and have a bit of fun.

No comments: