Thursday, January 1, 2009

Tortillas

I am LOVING my Christmas present. It is a flour tortilla press. Our family loves fresh homemade tortillas. It started a few years ago when Sams sold the bake them yourself tortillas. They stopped selling them but later Walmart started carrying them in the refrigerator section next to the cream cheese. Of course they are more expensive than the already cooked ones. We can quickly go through that package of 20.

So over a year ago I started making homemade tortillas...it is super simple. Flour, salt, shortening or Oil, and warm water. I always have that stuff on hand. I have also tried whole wheat tortillas and we make some corn as well. The mixing is easy but then I had to roll them out....one by one. It takes a while and is work!! But I did it because we do love them.

BUT NOW....my press is so awesome! I get perfect circles and all I have to do is take a ball of dough, place it in the press and close it for 3 seconds. SO EASY. SO much better than rolling them out. This tortilla press is special because it has a heating element that par bakes them. Once they are par baked and cooled, I can store them in the fridge or freezer and they will not stick together. I just have to take out how many I need and bake them in the frying pan.

I got another tortilla press last year but it never got them thin enough....my rolling pin did a better job. The heating element was the key. Toby searched all over Houston but did not find any so he ended up ordering it on the internet. I am so happy he did. I love it and will make tortillas much more frequently now which makes the whole family happy!!

3 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Nice job on the hubby's part. Now that's what I call dedication. Glad you love it so much!

Dee said...

WOW! That's so great! I can't wait to try one.

4guysandme said...

I might have to come watch you make them with the press. I've made tortillas before, but they are more work than *I* want to do. I typically buy the ones that are more expensive. I've found them at Kroger and they aren't too bad price wise, but more expensive than the others that's for sure.