Is 3 the best age for little boys??? I am enjoying my boys more at this age than any before. They have good vocabularies and great imaginations so I never know what to expect. Right now they just eat information up.
What has been really fun is doing preschool with them. We got a small group together, just my 2 boys, their cousin and a friend. We meet just once a week and rotate houses. We teach basic preschool stuff.....thank you internet because there is such great ideas out there that it really seems easy to prepare stuff. Each week we have a letter of the week and base some of the lessons and activites around that.
Today was the letter E at my house. We started by singing the ABC song and introducing the letter E its name and sound. Then we read a book My E Sound Box followed by an egg hunt. Now I was not trying to confuse holidays but we did search for plastic Easter eggs using the Halloween buckets which I got out just yesterday. The kids had fun. Inside those eggs was not candy but little papers with E pictures (thanks internet again I did not have to draw them) We played a matching game with them. Then for snack hard boiled eggs. We ended up talking during snack time about which animals lay eggs.
Then after snacks we did switch to elephants. We played and sang Elephant on a tight rope. We talked about how big elephants were as I measured and weighed the kids. Then we put together some paper elephants and read an Elmo story. It was lots of fun to see the kids enjoying it so much. I love teaching them. I love that all my kids love to learn and read and I have been their first teacher, teaching each how to read before they entered school.
I love that these boys stop me now when they see a letter they know. During soccer practice tonight we talked again about what animals lay eggs. They remember. When I was getting snack ready today, S said "Cookies". No that was the last lesson we did on the letter C when we cut out sugar cookies. Things I do now they will remember, and they will remember that their mom played with them, worked with them, and most of all loved them.
I will always enjoy enriching my kids lives whether it be teaching them how to read, how to swim, how to sew, how to cook, or any other skill. I have plenty of work to do to teach these precious children how to be good people, caring, considerate and responsible. That is a big job and one that I will do my best.

2 comments:
How fun! I'm delighted to see a preschool group. Yay! What fun ideas. I love looking for eggs with a Halloween bucket. There's a fun Clifford book where Emily Elizabeth dreams and a few holidays come into her dream.
sounds like preschool is a hit. I agree, 3 is a great age.
Post a Comment